Tuesday 8 January 2013

Compulsion to Self-Medicate & Suffering

     "I wrote this song when I was almost five years clean and sober. There’s no way I could have seen this character’s plight if I had not lived it, I would not have the perspective to understand the dire situation this character is in until I stepped out of my own downward spiral. Just like it was for me, the character in this song is in full-blown denial, can’t see the real problem, and doesn’t know the cause of the tormenting loneliness and isolation that’s driving the compulsion to self-medicate. The character is classic alcoholic, a garden variety drunk, believing that drinking is the solution and not the cause of the suffering. The character has become resigned to living this way, resigned to drinking, mostly alone, till the bitter end." Mary Gauthier 

     Mary will be performing in Halifax January 25th & 26th, 2013    http://www.marygauthier.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment