Tuesday 17 April 2012

Blind Spots - Common & Normal


     Years ago, while driving in heavy Toronto traffic, I looked in the side mirror and without turning to look directly, I quickly switched into the lane to my right. In the process, I cut off a (marked) police car and scared the heck out of one of the policemen. Obviously I had not seen them - they were in my "blind spot." Of course I would have seen them, had I appropriately turned to look directly.
     How many times have we done regrettable things and wondered "What was I thinking?" We now clearly see what was invisible to us then. Most of these blind spots are developmental-stage dependent. We were simply too "young, dumb, and (possibly) full of rum".
     It's so important to realize that we have a huge potential for continued growth as human beings. If we must define ourselves, can it be as a "work-in-progress" or perhaps a verb instead of a noun? Instead of having simplistic "premature closure" about infinitely complex, fluid, ever-changing reality, can we not instead wonder about the mystery of "Who am I?" and "What is this?"
     Our life is "a complex process that includes changes in biological, cognitive, emotional, social, spiritual, and moral dimensions.”
       Parks SD. “Big questions, worthy dreams. Mentoring young adults in their search for meaning, purpose, and faith.” John Wiley & Sons, San Francisco, 2000.
 
Photo: eric87   www.dpreview.com

No comments:

Post a Comment