Friday 6 September 2013

Questions for Self-Reflection, Self-Care, & Alignment to Values

    "How can I take care of myself so that I can be of service to others?
     How can I strive for excellence and at the same time have compassion for myself when I don’t have all the answers or I make a mistake?
     How can I offer my expertise in order to cure illness and at the same time stay open to what my patients have to teach me about their own healing?
     How can I maintain an empathetic connection with my patients and at the same time protect myself?" 

       Nedrow A, Steckler NA, Hardman J. Physician resilience and burnout: can you make the switch? Fam Pract Manag 2013; 20(1): 25-30.

     A regular mindfulness meditation practice is profoundly beneficial for all of the above. It helps to remember the wisdom behind in-flight safety instructions about putting the oxygen mask on yourself first, and then on your dependents. See: http://mindfulnessforeveryone.blogspot.ca/2013/09/392-both-anxious-confused-reactive-and.html


Crystal Crescent Beach, Nova Scotia

No comments:

Post a Comment