Monday 6 August 2012

Vacation? Remember what one feels like?

     For me a true vacation is a complete get-away - leaving behind all my professional cares and responsibilities to such an extent that if suddenly asked what I did for a living, I should have to think a bit before being able to answer. Such a shift releases aspects of myself - particularly creative, artistic, care-free aspects - that are normally locked away in long-term storage.
     I think that it's essential to revisit and revive our youthful subpersonalities on a regular basis, lest we risk losing them - and ourselves - completely. Retirement is around the corner for ALL of us - let's not get stuck with work as our sole identity!
     Even taking off on an airplane releases me from normal work-related as well as most other daily concerns. All sorts of creative ideas float to the top. I even thoroughly enjoy having tomato juice on flights - not the wildest indulgence, but it does suggest an interesting shift.
     When I take 3 weeks in a row for holidays (AND spend none of it working) I get a bit of the sense of those childhood "endless summers" when I truly felt like the summer went on forever ... and actually looked forward to going back to school for a change. Don't we all need to feel THAT revitalized?


Bradford Naugler at the Annual Lunenburg Folk Festival - Aug 5, 2012 - http://www.folkharbour.com/

1 comment:

  1. The key to the true vacation might be your comment about not working at all - even a little bit - ie putting the Blackberry and e-mail aside.

    ReplyDelete