Friday 17 August 2012

Conscious ethical judgments


     “it is ethics that to a large extent determines the very nature of the relationship between individual and society   Markova (1990) 
     Reflexive ethics is characterized by consciousness: people make ethical judgments deliberately, based on the knowledge and critical evaluation of the matter. Nonreflexive ethics, in contrast, refers to obeying rules and applying them without individual thought. ... basically human ethical thought is reflexive. However, much of it turns into routines and unthinking practices when it becomes part of established tradition and custom, like ethical customs of a profession."
         Myyry L. "Components of Morality - A Professional Ethics Perspective on Moral Motivation, Moral Sensitivity, Moral Reasoning and Related Constructs Among University Students." PhD Thesis, University of Helsinki, 2003.  
http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/val/sosps/vk/myyry/

     How conscious are my relationships to people, events, things?
     Do I hesitate, or resent my right hand for helping my left hand? How big a deal is it when one of my hands scratches an itch on my own body? Do I treat others very differently than myself?


Photo: Chetan Soni   www.smithsonianmag.org

No comments:

Post a Comment