Thursday 23 February 2012

Resilience


     “Resilience is the ability to adapt to life’s ever-changing landscape and recover quickly from stressors and potential stressors. Agility is the ability to do so quickly and in a variety of situations.”
     Pipe TB et al. Building personal and professional resources of resilience and agility in the healthcare workplace. Stress Health 2012; 28(1): 11-22.

     Besides just living our lives, is there a way to cultivate resilience and agility? Although I've never come close to being a competitive athlete, I've observed and admired how many top athletes are able to take the discipline acquired from the "practice" of their sport, and generalize this into living highly productive, rewarding and balanced lives. 
     Two of my classmates in dentistry were "the" stars on the University of Toronto hockey team, which in turn was the best in the country. Another classmate was a star on the university's swim team. These three cultivated the discipline and concentration to accomplish - well - in several hours less per day (practice & competitions) than the rest of us.
     All of us can be athletes in our own way, regardless of age. 
     No matter how bedraggled I feel at the end of a workday, and just want to get home, eat, and veg out, I get myself to the gym regularly. Once there, I'm quickly wide awake, and the workout goes just fine. I never leave the gym regretting the workout. I'm always refreshed, energized, as if I'd taken a brain shower. Afterwards, I sleep like a log because my body is more tired than my mind.
     For a bit of competition - I'm currently participating in a version of "the biggest looser" among 30 of my colleagues. Being a tad competitive, we've been exercising much more regularly, and eating much more mindfully and moderately. As a result I've lost 6 lbs over the past month - feels great! We plan to maintain these healthy habits - life-long athletes.
     Be well - be an athlete and a healer!

Photo: Zman53   www.dpreview.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment