Saturday 12 July 2014

We're Much More Alike than Different

     We're very (overly?) aware of our own burdens & struggles as health-care professionals. It's really helpful to periodically gain some appreciation about how others live.

     "Meditation, as a space of clarity and equanimity, eludes me. But I recently read a book by the Soto Zen teacher Dainin Katagiri in which he talks about the struggles of meditation, and it helped. His instruction is, quite simply, 'Just shut up and sit.' This message resonates with me. So now, even when my mind is full of monkeys and a plethora of uncontrollable thoughts, I just shut up and sit. I can do that."
       Patrick Brady, inmate of the California State Prison, written while in solitary confinement. 
       Buddhadharma: The Practitioner's Quarterly, Spring 2014.

Franco Balducci's 2007 "Traveller of Peace", San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment