Wednesday 21 November 2012

Authenticity, Empathy, Engagement

     “I find each encounter with a patient shapes not just the patient’s reality but also mine. To provide a therapeutic presence, I need to give not just a technical opinion but also give of myself. I shape and am shaped by events, and this constant molding defines me not just as a doctor but also as a person. The self is constantly in dissolution and creation; my identity is defined by my actions and choices. I find this model authentic in capturing the reality of the doctor–patient relationship because it views the doctor as an active participant. It acknowledges the vitality of each relationship and with it the power of human connection. Almost two decades in the ‘trenches’ has taught me that beyond empathy lies engagement, that the road to self-awareness is bumpy and admits no return traffic, and that our patients are our best teachers.”

       Schapira L. An existential oncologist. J Clin Oncol 2003; 21(9 Suppl): 77s-78s.


Vincent Van Gogh The Church at Auvers
 

No comments:

Post a Comment