Tuesday 12 June 2012

Your #1 priority?

     If I put everything I have into becoming the top expert in my field SO THAT people will love and respect me, I will likely become successful professionally. BUT this "success" will NOT generate the love I need. If I'm primarily after love, I need to work on my people skills and on becoming a truly decent, likable human being. The latter requires a very different skill set than professional success.
     Doing external pursuits more, and more intensely in order to gain love (a form of interiority) is tragically common and ineffective.

      “The truth is what one really needs is not Nobel laureates but love. How do you think one gets to be a Nobel laureate? Wanting love, that’s how. Wanting it so bad one works all the time and ends up a Nobel laureate. It’s a consolation prize. 
     What matters is love.”                 George Wald, Nobel prize winning biologist from Harvard

Photo: Nathan Goshgarian   http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/your-shot/weekly-wrapper

No comments:

Post a Comment