Thursday 19 July 2012

Diagnostic categories, theories & "vague implicitly intricate living things"

     "I know Freudian concepts. I wouldn't want to practice without them. I know Jungian theory. I wouldn't want to practice without that either. And, I want every other theory I can get. But once I have them, then it's time to recognize that none of them could possibly be right. After I know them precisely, then it's time to let the vague thing that is actually in front of me take precedence over all the clarities. The person before me isn't any theory, isn't any set of concepts, and moreover is not finished. Even the small feeling the person has just then isn't finished. If I try to ossify it, what good am I being? Without precise theories I wouldn't notice a lot that I need to notice. I can try out every theory I know, but the vague implicitly intricate living thing has to be asked, and has to take precedence." Eugene Gendlin


Photo: MNet   www.dpreview.com


No comments:

Post a Comment